HEY, YOU—HELP ME MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE!
Hi, there! I'm Kristi Porter, and I started Signify to help small nonprofits and for-profits with a social mission get noticed and grow through effective marketing and communications. I also teach solopreneurs and small businesses how to incorporate philanthropy and giving strategies. I believe that cause-focused organizations are the future of business. They're proof that companies can both make money and do good. And I'm here to make sure they focus and shine. Because when they succeed, we all win.
And, right now, I could use an extra set of hands . . .
You can read more about Signify's humble origins right here, but the gist is that I utilize copywriting and consulting services to make nonprofits and social enterprises look and sound more professional so they can build a larger audience, increase sales or donations, and do more good. Super cool, right?
And even as a hard-workin' solopreneur, I've discovered that I can't do it alone.
So, I'm looking for a smart, diligent, and fun intern who wants to help me support other mission-centered businesses. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain real-world experience in unique environment while working on projects that you can feel good about (if I do say so myself).
Has your fancy has been tickled? Then keep reading!
- Some writing and editing
- Social media management
- Creating/editing simple graphics in Canva (can be taught)
- Squarespace experience (can be taught)
- Research now and again
- Help documenting my systems and moving things out of my head and into documents
- Assistance on some other top secret projects
More than likely, there are other odds and ends that probably haven't dawned on me yet, but this gives you examples of the types of things that will pop up. Solopreneurs juggle a lot of tasks and projects, and just like I fill in the gaps for clients, you'd fill in the gaps for me.
The primary responsibility I need filled is to support the writing and promotion of the weekly blog. However, if you have particular knowledge and experience in another area, like graphic design or social media management I'm open to additional support with the right skill set.
Note: As of the summer of 2018, priority placement will be given to anyone with previous graphic design, social media, and SEO/web optimization experience. My digital presence is only 18 months old, but things move quickly online, and I could use a hand improving what's already on the interwebs. :)
WHAT I CAN OFFER:
- Intro to peers in the "do good" community that can help advance your education and/or career
- The chance to sit in on client meetings to hear real problems and solutions (in-person or virtually)
- Flexible hours
- The ability to work from home
- Possibly going to events with me
- Fulfillment of volunteer or internship hours with your school
I have almost always worked in small businesses, on both the for-profit and nonprofit side. And the benefit of working in at these kinds of organizations is that you can learn so much more in a hands-on way than at large corporations. This is a chance to flex a lot of different muscles, figure out what you do and don't like, work with a variety of clients, and see your skills have a direct impact.
Since I work from home, this is a remote position. If you live in the Atlanta area, we can meet from time-to-time at local coffee shops or you can accompany me to meetings when appropriate and available. We will also have weekly staff meetings via Zoom to check in, ask and answer questions, and generally connect. I can also occasionally arrange for guest speakers during staff meetings to help you learn more about topics of interest.
For these reasons, being able to work independently and being a self-starter are important qualities.
- Love for cause-focused organizations (bonus points for previous experience!)
- Desire to use your skills for improving the world
- Follow-through and dedication
- Background of some sort in marketing, public relations, and/or business communications
- Strong writing skills
- Minimum of five hours per week
- Living in the Atlanta area isn't necessary, but it would be great!
- You need to be okay working with faith-based ministries.
I'm looking for someone who is willing to jump in and do the work, and who has a heart for the types of clients I work with. You need to be a fellow creative, problem-solver who isn't just looking for someone to give you all the answers and hold your hand through the process. I'm here to be a mentor, not a parent.
And if you'd use the words clever, snarky, or sarcastic to describe yourself, we shall be best friends forever.
Unfortunately, I can't pay at this time. (sad face emoji) But hopefully the experience I can provide will be worth a fortune. And if you do make a fortune one day, please be kind and remember those who supported you. ;)
- Read through the rest of the site to make sure we'd vibe and you have a good understanding of my business.
- Send your resume, portfolio or writing samples, and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let's get this ball rolling!